President & CEO Job Posting
TITLE: President & CEO of the Ontario County Chamber of Commerce
LOCATION: Canandaigua, NY
JOB TYPE: Full-time
SALARY: Commensurate with experience and qualifications
About the Chamber
The Ontario County Chamber of Commerce (OnChamber) mission is to cultivate relationships that drive personal, professional, and economic prosperity across the eight counties our members call home. The OnChamber is driven to be a timely, relevant, and valuable resource to businesses, organizations, and professionals. The OnChamber convenes important conversations and facilitates the exchange of ideas through timely events, programs and services, a robust online and social media presence, and other activities that address the needs of our members and stakeholders.
President & CEO Duties and Responsibilities
The President & CEO is responsible for the day-to-day management of the organization and its full range of activities. And is responsible for reporting to and communicating with the Board of Directors regarding membership, recruitment and retention, financial management, and general operations on a regular, consistent basis.
Main job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Serves as a catalyst and partners with the board to develop, implement, and report on strategic plans that deliver member value and meet established business goals.
- Provides periodic operational and strategic information to the Board, as well as analysis of projected impact of such information if implemented or acted upon.
- Develops and communicates recommendations for continuous improvement.
- Works with committee chairs and other volunteers in the planning and execution of all committee activities.
- Establishes agendas and prepares materials and presentations for monthly board and executive committee meetings.
Membership, Recruitment, and Retention
- Exhibits a strong customer service focus to ensure member retention, growth, and development.
- Regularly assesses the needs and interests of the membership and develops/delivers services according to those needs and interests.
- Maintains positive relationships through various means of advocacy, collaboration and communication with the membership and actively promotes OnChamber services and programs.
- Assures a system for the measurement, monitoring, and continuous improvement of OnChamber services and operations.
- Establishes annual membership goals with the OnChamber board and works with staff to deliver against them.
- Serves as the primary OnChamber fiscal agent and is responsible for income, expense management and performance reporting.
- Creates and presents to the Board annual operating and capital budgets that reflect the programs and goals of the organization.
- Assures proper administration of the Chamber financial activities; maintains appropriate data, records, and financial controls; and proactively communicates and coordinates, as appropriate, with the Board regarding financial matters.
- Provides regular analysis of financial trends and projections to the Board; recommends sound responses and strategies.
- Assures financial strength of the Chamber.
- Builds and maintains collaborative relationships with public officials, business and community leaders, and other stakeholders that create and strengthen strategic partnerships to help drive economic development for our region.
- Takes lead in building and presenting an annual operating plan to the Board, including proposed goals, targets, and strategies; identifies tactics and initiatives to achieve the plan; monitors the plan and makes amendments as necessary; and provides leadership and direction to the Board to complete an annual evaluation process of the organization’s achievements.
- Develops and oversees an effective marketing/public relations program.
- Develops and maintains programs and events for effective recruitment, retention and member and community return on investment. Creates and oversees, in collaboration with the Governance Committee of the Board, a comprehensive and competitive salary/benefit program for staff members.
- Fosters a positive work environment/culture to develop and sustain a competent and energized team.
- Manages and directs the work of Chamber employees; makes employment decisions, and evaluates the work of Chamber employees.
Qualifications and Skills
The President & CEO must possess a broad spectrum of skills and will have a breadth of management experience that immediately inspires confidence among the Board of Directors, the business sector, our members, and community stakeholders.
Qualifications and skills desired include:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience.
- Five (5) plus years of upper-level management in areas such as community relations, economic development, marketing, business development, operations, or non-profit leadership.
- Strong understanding of corporate finances, including knowledge of budget development and financial reports.
- Ability to develop and implement strategic plans that deliver on established OnChamber objectives.
- Polished people skills, including strong and articulate communications, ability to effectively lead people, and ability to comfortably present in front of large audiences.
- Strong ability and desire to maintain and build effective, collaborative relationships with the Board of Directors, Chamber members and staff, business leaders, government representatives, civic leaders, and other members of the public.
- Ability to provide effective oversight of operations and administration.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office Suite and QuickBooks.
- Paid Health and Dental Insurance, including a Health Savings Account Contribution.
- Generous Paid Time Off Plan, including paid vacation and sick time.
- Paid Holidays.
- Employer-paid Life Insurance.
- Employer paid Long-term Disability Insurance.
- Retirement benefits that include a 401(k) plan and Employer Match.
- Training & Development Opportunities.
- Volunteer Opportunities.
Statement on Diversity
The Ontario County of Chamber of Commerce encourages diversity in the workplace; we are an Equal Opportunity Employer. At the Ontario County Chamber of Commerce, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, religion, disability, sexual orientation, education, and culture.
Resumes and letters of interest can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.